INTELLIGENT BRANDS // Mobile Technology
Largest 4G / 5G network in an industrial environment now operational in France
ArcelorMittal France has announced the operational launch of 5G Steel , the largest 4G / 5G network in the industrial environment , with Orange Business Services and Ericsson . The initiative , supported by the French government as part of the France Relance economy revival plan , is now enabling the first industrial use cases to be implemented at the ArcelorMittal site in Dunkerque .
The industrial use cases of 5G Steel include :
• The connected operator : The mobility of people and processes enabled by 5G Steel is transforming the way people work in industrial environments . For example , on the hot strip rolling mill , data collection , entry and sharing operations can be done more quickly and intuitively with the help of tablets : inspections during maintenance operations , safety audits and lockout / tagout procedures .
• Steel recycling : ArcelorMittal ’ s recycled steel yard management is facilitated by extensive coverage and high throughput . Steel arriving at the site for recycling is weighed and scanned to assess its density and composition . This data is then automatically transmitted by the operators in charge of quality control from the field via 5G Steel . Machinery operators ( crane and stackers ) receive the information directly from the production program and can inform about the actions taken through 5G Steel .
Future industrial use cases to be developed on ArcelorMittal ’ s sites include other initiatives in terms of mobility of people in work situations , autonomous rail vehicles in Dunkerque and Florange , autonomous road vehicles , the generalisation of mobile maintenance with field information feedback , Virtual or Augmented Reality and safety devices .
Currently deployed on the ArcelorMittal sites in Dunkerque and Mardyck ( North of France ), 5G Steel will be extended to other sites , in particular , Florange ( East of France ) in 2023 .
5G Steel ’ s capabilities meet the challenges of tomorrow ’ s industry thanks to :
• Extensive coverage : The mobile network covers all ArcelorMittal ’ s complex industrial sites , outdoors and indoors , including underneath high-rise metal structures . This coverage provides greater freedom of movement for operators and connectivity anywhere in the company .
• High speed in response to the high throughput needs of modelled processes , connected objects and production data , etc .
• Low latency : Reduced latency supports the deployment of autonomous vehicles and remote-control cockpits as well as security in high-risk areas .
• Network slicing to offer a level of service adapted to each of the needs of the operational processes .
• Data security : The private mobile network protects sensitive industrial data .
The objective of deploying 5G Steel is also to enable the development of the French ecosystem around the value chain of these industrial use cases . 5G Steel will cover the main seaport of Dunkerque and ArcelorMittal ’ s Digital Labs in Dunkerque and Florange , and tests are being carried out to extend the network to the Hauts-de-France and Grand Est regions . p
72 INTELLIGENTCIO EUROPE www . intelligentcio . com